Performing Arts Class for Gifted & Talented Students
Due to the tradition, consistent high reputation and success of the Creative and Performing Arts Department at NVHS, a Creative and Performing Arts class for Gifted and Talented Students entering Year 7 in 2019 will continue. There is a culture and a strong acceptance of the Arts at Narara Valley High School by students, teachers and parents alike. 2019 will be our twelfth year of the CAPA class at NVHS.
Students MUST audition annually for selection into the class – it is envisaged that the students will be in this class for Years 7 and 8, then elect their chosen CAPA subjects in Year 9.
Narara Valley High School has provided our students over the years numerous opportunities to develop and showcase their talents both at school and in the community. Some of these include:
- Central Coast Schools Showcase (Music & Dance)
- Youth In Performing Arts (Music & Dance)
- Opera Australia Projects (Drama, Dance, Instrumental and Vocal)
- Narara Valley High School Annual Drama production
- Star Struck (Dance, Vocal, Instrumental)
- School Spectacular (Dance, Vocal, Instrumental)
- NSW Dance Festival (Dance)
- State Dance Junior Company (Dance)
- NVHS Concert Band (YIPA, local performances, and International tours)
- Annual Music Faculty Concert
- Annual CAPA class concert
- Annual Music Tour
If your child wishes to apply, please complete the attached application form and return it to the school. All students will be expected to audition for vocal, dance AND drama. The following will be assessed:
- VOCAL: All students are to prepare a 1 minute vocal solo to perform in the vocal tutorial. Technical aspects of vocal work will be addressed and the students will learn a short piece.
- DANCE: All students are to be dressed appropriately for the dance auditions. They will do some technical activities and learn short sequences. There is no need to prepare an item for the dance audition.
- DRAMA: All students will be required to perform a prepared piece of their own choice, of approximately 1 minute duration. Students will also participate in improvised activities
In addition, students may OPTIONALLY audition for the instrumental program by preparing a short solo piece on their chosen instrument. Students are required to bring their own instruments with them on the day. There will be a piano, drums, amplifiers and music stands provided in the audition room.
This program is available UPON APPLICATION ONLY. Please contact the office to find out how and when to apply.